THE CHICAGO, KANSAS, AND NEBRASKA RY PART II: DISTINCTIVE "DESIGN NO. 3" DEPOTS by John Matrow DIGEST Volume 2, covered the history of the Chicago, Kansas & Nebraska Railway which built 1,388 miles of track, almost all in Kansas, for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific RR. That article also covered the locomotive roster. In this issue, we are going to describe the famous two-story CK&N depot, "Design NO. 3", also known as the "one and a half story" since the freight section was only one story. At locations in which no towns were established, and thus no housing was available, the railroad provided quarters for the agent in the second story of this particular type of depot. As seen by the list, more than seventy locations were confirmed through the list and with photographs. M.C. Parker's research reveals that those early depots were often the largest building in town and were used for social functions. The baggage room was used for dancing. The waiting room was even used for church services and Sunday School. Being built of wood, many burned early. Others were dismantled by World War II. The one that remained online the longest was probably at Okarche, Oklahoma, because it was rebuilt twice - losing major sections each time. We are fortunate in that one mostly intact structure has been found. The Perth depot was moved off the property in the 1930's. It was moved once or twice more and ended up on a farm just northeast of Caldwell, Kansas. Many windows and doors have changed, but the basic structure still exists with changed details. A part of a former church was also added to one side. Photos of the rear of these depots have been rare so it is fortunate that this one survived. One of the most well known depots of this type, since it lasted so long intact, was at Fairview, KS. A color picture appeared in Don Ball's book, Railroads. That building lasted at least through 1965. Six of the CK&N Ry. buildings appeared in Colorado Rail Annual No. 17, in Doty and McFarland's "Rocketing to the Rockies" section. Two buildings had their freight sections moved to farms. The depot building at Kechi, Kansas stayed in the area but Harbine, Nebraska was moved to south of Fairbury, where it still stands. The basic buildings were 22 by 45 feet, but several were 55- feet long and a few were extra long (and are listed in our inventory table as extended). The plans were prepared from the best available photographs. Much of the rear configuration was an educated guess. We are looking for additional photos of these distinctive depots at any location. ----------------------------------------------------------------- The following people and organizations assisted with the data in this article: John Baskin Harper, H. D. Conner, Bob Dickerson, Bill Flood, Warren Chambers, Howard Killiam, M. C. Parker, Jim Reisdorff, Michael Bartels, Jim Fuhrmann, Alan Winkler, Mel McFarland, L. A. Reed, Ed Galbraith, Bill Clarke, Bob Riebe, Bill Riebe, the Kansas State Historical Society, the Nebraska State Historical Society and 15 county historical societies. TABLE: INVENTORY OF CK&N "No. 3" STATIONS "As Built" Data from: CHICAGO KANSAS and NEBRASKA Ry document, Cost of Construction to January 31st, 1890. Compiled in Engrs. Office, Topeka, Courtesy John Baskin Harper. Comments and other data is from author's research. Location Waiting Rm State & Town Location Construction notes and misc. comments St.Joseph, MO to El Reno, IT (15 depots) Denton, KS R Pierce, KS Hoyt, KS L Valencia, KS McFarland, KS R Lt. & rt. ends extended after 1-31-1890 Bay window on second story. Torn down 1949. Alta Vista, KS L Rear gable. Burned 1919. Whitewater, KS R Rear gable. Kechi, KS R Spelled "Ketchi" in 1-31-1890 CK&N table. Peck, KS R 10 feet added to freight room.1 Zyba, KS Perth, KS L Rear gable. Moved to near Caldwell. Enid, IT Now North Enid, KS Hennessey, IT L 12 feet added to freight room. Okarche, IT R Rear gable. Building shortened '11. One story. Herington, KS to Liberal, KS (11 depots) Durham, KS 10 feet added to freight room Medora, KS Langdon, KS R Preston, KS R Natrona, KS R Brenham, KS Bucklin, KS R 16 feet added to freight room. No rear gable. Kingsdown, KS Mineola, KS 22 feet added to freight room. Jasper, KS Station name changed to "Missler". Arkalon, KS R 10 feet added to freight room. Herington, KS to Salina, KS (1 depot) New Cambria, KS R McFarland, KS to Belleville, KS (2 depots) Bala, KS R Also known as "Bala City". Agenda, KS Also known as "Neva". Torn down 1961. Horton, KS to Colorado Springs, CO via Beatrice & Jansen NE (42 depots) Fairview, KS R DuBois, NE L Rear gable. Lewiston, NE Harbine, NE R Freight section moved to Fairbury. Gilead, NE (On Ruskin, nee Nelson, branch). Ruskin, NE R (On Ruskin, nee Nelson, branch). Mahaska, KS R Courtland, KS Formoso, KS L Rear gable. Spelled "Formosa" in 1-31-1890 CK&N table. Montrose, KS L Rear gable. Burned 1949. Otego, KS L Esbon, KS L Rear gable. Spelled "Ezbon" in CK&N table. Kensington, KS L Rear gable. Gretna, KS R Rear gable. Stuttgart, KS L Prairie View KS R No rear gable. Calvert, KS Dellvale, KS L Clayton, KS Jennings, KS Dresden, KS Selden, KS R Rear gable. Rexford, KS R Gem, KS R Levant, KS R Brewster, KS Burned 1905. Edson, KS Also known as "Edison". Ruleton, KS R Kanorado, KS L Rear gable. Burlinton, CO 34 feet added to length. Claremont, CO Station name changed to "Stratton" in 1906. Seibert, CO R 10 feet added to length. Flagler, CO Arriba, CO R Limon, CO 10 feet added to length. Resolis, CO 30 feet added to length. Mattison, CO Station name changed to "Matheson" about 1920. Ramah, CO 21 feet added to length. Peyton, CO L Rear gable. 10 feet added to length. Falcon, CO L Rear gable. Note 1. The phrase "XX feet added to freight room" is believed to mean the design was changed when building was erected; not a later addition. Please send additional data, corrections and photos to the author. DRAWINGS: All four sides of building. Passenger End and Trackside Freight End and Rear PHOTOS: #1: Alta Vista, KS. "No. 3" depot. Photo from Kansas State Historical Society. #2: Langdon, KS, as it looked in 1890. Photo from Kansas State Historical Society. #3: Preston, KS. Photographed in 1915. Photo from Kansas State Historical Society. Also in this issue: McFarland depot bout the turn of the century. Rear cover color photo: CK&N station at Fairview, KS in November 1965. Barney Murray photo from John Matrow collection. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Article contributed by John Matrow, Rock Island Technical Society Newsletter Editor & Director, February, 1994. Additions & Corrections: North Enid is in Oklahoma, not Kansas. Burlington was misspelled in table. Okarche had ends removed in 1955. Dellvale was also known as South Oronouque. Stratton was also known as Mathias. Bala burned July, 1934. Peyton had freight doot on end. Dresdon had waiting room on left. Perth burned August 30, 1993. At least four were rebuilt to one story designs with hip roofs and are still standing: Kensington, Selden, Dresden & Bucklin.