The Rock Island's
1957 Annual Report
This Annual Report, for 1957, wasn't selected because of any particular significance, other than the fact that it's one of several in my collection. Even so, it does provide a snapshot of the Rock Island's health shortly after the conclusion of the transition from steam to diesel, and a few years before the dawn of the 1960's, and the infamous events of that decade...
Note: Unless you're viewing the following pages on a large monitor, you may wish to save the page images to disk and use an image-viewing program to zoom in on the small type. Saves headaches...trust me!
- Page 1--Front Cover. A beautiful painting by Francis Chase, of Pullman-Standard.
- Page 2--Table of Contents
- Page 3--Board of Directors, Officers, Summary of Operations
- Page 4--"To the Stockholders", from President D.B. Jenks
- Page 13--Centerfold A stylized system map.
- Page 14--Balance Sheet
- Page 18--Railway Operating Expenses
- Page 20--Train, Locomotive, and Car Mileage, Freight Traffic Statistics
- Page 21--Passenger Trafic, MOW Statistics, Operating Ratios, Number of Employees
- Page 22--Principal Commodities (Revenue Freight), Pensions
- Page 23--Serviceable Equipment, Rock Island Motor Transit
- Page 24--Rear Cover